Wednesday, October 27, 2010

transportation

in boston the medium of transportation is something all of us use on a daily basis. wheter it is a car a bike or public transportation, we need it to get to places. how this conects to my life, is very simple. i live in the city 25 minutes away from school. if one day my car decides to break down, i am completely stuck with not many options to get to school. i use my car for everything and if its not me driving, it is either a friend or a taxi.

when i was younger, in mexico city, i was not permitted to ride public transportation. for security purposes it was either my friends parents or chofers who drove us around. however when i grew up, things changed. now i had my own car and what i wanted to do depended on me. however, based on security, i always grew up depending on a car. in a way we become sort of useless without a car. we dont know how to travel or move from place to place. anyhow, in boston, one learns to have different options. whether it is a cab or the T. but when it comes to me, i have had trouble with modifying my habits. i usually cant go aywhere if i dont bring my car, because i feel like i am no longer in control of what i want to do. it is sad, but living in mexico makes you very dependent to this medium. so this is something i use every day of my life, and when it breaks down or i cant use it, it stresses me out a lot. how much do we rely on transportation? is living on campus different, or does one still feel useless without a car, since there is no t stop near school?

i feel that while atending babson having a car is esential and it is a medium that allows me to live of campus and go wherever i want whenever i want.

1 comment:

  1. Salo,

    A car is definitely a strong medium. My friend just signed up with this business who pays him money in order to use his car as an advertisement. Every two weeks my friend is sent two large magnets which he places on the sides of his car. The magnets are from different companies who wish to advertise in certain areas. My friend lives in South Boston and commutes to Wellesley for work, which is exactly where the company wants to advertise. He has no control over what the advertisement says or who the company is, but he gets paid for them using his car as a medium. His car expresses media to those around him. His behavior while driving the car matters because the company advertising wants to keep their good name, and a bad driver would discourage consumers from interest in the company.

    ReplyDelete